Kayal Pain & Spine Center Wants to Keep You Pain-Free for Years to Come
Some back pain is inevitable, especially as you grow older. But some back pain and serious health-related conditions can be avoided when you give your spine the TLC it needs and deserves. The earlier you start, the more you improve your odds of staying healthy, active and pain-free for years to come.
However, when you do need a spine specialist in Glen Rock or throughout the Bergen County, NJ, area, the award-winning team of experts at Kayal Pain & Spine Center is here to serve you. We have the most sophisticated diagnostic tools to pinpoint the source of your back pain or spinal problem and the most up-to-date treatments and therapies to manage and conquer whatever ails you.
Ease on Down the Road
One of the simplest ways to eliminate preventable spine problems is to keep moving. Exercise is one of your greatest defenses against back pain and other spinal issues. When you commit to an active lifestyle, it helps you to maintain a healthy weight (which reduces strain on your spine) and tighten the core muscles in your back and abdomen. Targeted stretching exercises will strengthen your core muscles. Another way to enhance those muscles is to engage in aerobic exercise such as walking, swimming, biking and yoga. Stretching and strengthening your muscles helps distribute nutrients to your spinal discs and soft tissues. This keeps joints, muscles, discs and ligaments at their best and also helps with healing.
There are a number of other steps you can take to pamper your spine, including:
- Sit up straight! Posture matters, especially if you have a desk job. Make sure you have the proper lumbar support and adjust your computer screen, desk and chair so that everything is ergonomically aligned. Choose a sitting posture that supports the natural curves in your spine. If you don’t, you could damage your spinal nerves. You should also try to get up and walk around (or stretch) every 30 minutes or so.
- Know your limits. Lifting items that are too heavy can take its toll on your spine. Rule of thumb: Don’t pick up anything that weighs 25 percent more than your body weight. Lifting heavy items or using improper lifting techniques can cause muscle strains, strain your muscles, spinal disc ruptures and trouble with your spinal joints. Proper lifting doesn’t just involve bending your knees. You also need to keep your chest forward and lead with your hips.
- Feed your body. We can’t stress enough the importance of a healthy diet rich in anti-inflammatory foods and vitamin D for strong bones. Foods found in nature such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lean meats and legumes are smart choices. Try to avoid processed foods and too many sweets. You can show your spine some extra love by choosing a diet that’s rich in calcium and other vitamins and nutrients that stave off osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and other spinal problems.
- Pamper your body. Stress can create tension in your neck and back muscles. Find ways to decompress at day’s end, such as yoga, meditation or other healthy relaxation techniques.
- Rest easy. Make sure you have the right mattress—good quality with adequate support for your back. You should also try different sleeping positions if you are experiencing back pain when you wake up. In addition, make sure you have a pillow that supports the natural curve of your neck.
- Kick the habit. Smoking takes a tremendous toll on the vascular structures within your spinal discs and joints. This increases your chances of developing back pain and degenerative spinal problems. You should do whatever it takes to quit smoking, including professional help if necessary.
When you experience back pain or spinal issues, you should schedule an appointment with one of our compassionate specialists at Kayal Pain & Spine Center. For all of your spine and other orthopaedic needs, including orthopaedic surgery in Bergen County, NJ, choose Kayal Pain & Spine Center and Kayal Orthopaedic Center. Call us at 844.777.0910 or contact us on the web.