Concerned About Your Diagnosis or Treatment Plan?
Consider a Second Opinion at Kayal Orthopaedic Center
The team at Kayal Orthopaedic Center believes that an informed patient is a happy, healthy patient. We also believe that while our elite team of skilled specialists is here to guide you toward the best course of treatment for optimum results, you are the one in charge of your own health care. Ultimately, it’s you who calls the shots.
With that in mind, we would like to remind you that we offer second opinions when you’re facing orthopedic surgery in Bergen County, NJ, and beyond. A second opinion can reinforce the diagnosis or treatment plan you’ve already been given or provide you with options that your existing health care team may not have explored—or may have rejected.
Here are some of the reasons you should consider a second opinion:
- Your doctor is recommending surgery.
- Your condition is serious.
- You have several treatment options.
- A risky procedure or treatment is being recommended.
- You have unanswered questions.
- You don’t feel comfortable with your diagnosis, or you’re still searching for one.
- You want to learn about other options.
- Your doctor has dismissed a specific treatment.
- You’ve been told nothing more can be done to improve your condition.
At Kayal Orthopaedic Center, we’re convinced that physician-patient partnerships are the best way to approach orthopaedic and other medical challenges. So we’d like to offer the following advice to help empower you to be your greatest ally.
- Keep complete, accurate records. A health summary of conditions, treatments, medicines, doctors, etc., is invaluable for you and your health care team.
- Don’t be afraid to ask. There really is no such thing as a stupid question. For many people, the health care world is unfamiliar territory filled with words and phrases that are hard to pronounce and even harder to understand—especially when you are first diagnosed with an illness or condition. A compassionate doctor realizes that and spends as much time as needed to answer all of your questions.
- Learn as much as you can from reliable sources. When you educate yourself about your symptoms, condition, treatment options and possible outcomes, you can play an active role in your care and treatment.
- Talk to other patients. Their experiences can help smooth your path to healing, helping you determine what you need and what you don’t need.
- Don’t give up your power. Your doctor is an expert in his or her field. But you are the expert about your specific case. Your opinions matter. Don’t be afraid to voice them as you and your doctor work together.
- Trust your instincts. If your doctor isn’t hearing you, find one who will listen. If a treatment doesn’t make sense, tap the brakes and explore other options.
- Get a second opinion if it makes the most sense to you, especially if your recommended treatment is long term, invasive or toxic.
- Don’t be afraid to accept help from a family member or friend. A trusted advocate can help in countless ways—including serving as a second set of ears during appointments, helping you reach important decisions about your health and being available during emergencies.
- Don’t forget to show gratitude. Doctors are no different than the rest of us. They appreciate it when we take the time to say thanks, especially when they’ve gone above and beyond to help us.
At Kayal Orthopaedic Center, we care about you and want to help you manage your pain in whatever way we can, including when you need a second opinion doctor in Bergen County, NJ. To learn more about our wide range of orthopaedic services, call us at 844.777.0910 or contact us on the web.